The most important part of Christmas baking is the Christmas songs! – Rheyza, 2016
So I’m not a baking or cooking person. Mostly ’cause I’ve never had the opportunity to bake or cook. But I was determined to get started after I got an oven as a wedding present. So, adapting from Jamie Oliver’s recipe on Creamy Fish Pie, one of my bestest friends, Rheyza, and I set out to bake a creamy salmon pie:
Serving – Four people
- 900 grams of potatoes (we used Hertha)
- 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 500ml warm milk
- 25 grams of butter (for the mashed potatoes) + 75 grams of butter (for the cream sauce)
- 110 grams of cheddar cheese
- 75 grams of flour
- 350 grams of salmon, skinned, boned and cut into chunks (possible to use up to 600 grams)
- Salt (can be sea salt)
- Pepper (black or white)
Basically there are three separate parts you are working with with this recipe: the potatoes, the vegetables and the cream sauce. It helped having an extra pair of hands around because Rheyza and I were a tag team pair when it came to getting both the vegetables and cream sauce ready at the same time.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Peel potatoes (optional to chop them) and place them into a large saucepan with cold water and add a pinch of salt.
- Bring to boil over high heat then simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes, i.e. until potatoes are tender enough to be pierced with fork.
- Drain, then mash potatoes with butter then add the chopped spring onions and stir.
- Heat oil (we used a canola/olive oil mix) in frying pan.
- Add the garlic, carrot and celery then saute until tender.
- Remove vegetables and place them in a large high-sided baking dish. (We used two aluminium pans.) Add the salmon to the baking dish.
- Melt butter into another saucepan and stir in the flour quickly till you have a smooth paste.
- Gradually whisk in warm milk and bring sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a steady simmer and simmer for 2 minutes till sauce becomes thick.
- Remove pan from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over fish and vegetables and mix.
- Gently spread mashed potato over the top, season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle on the cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden on top.
Obviously no plagiarism intended when putting in mostly the original recipe here. This is for me to be able to go back and recreate the steps in future.
If you do try it, let me know! It’s delicious! Enjoy!
Till next time,